1.) The Lucky Charms cereal idea was born in 1962
2.) Lucky Charms is a product of General Mills and Company, founded in Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S. (1866).
3.) Lucky Charms was created by John Holahan
4.) His original idea was to mix Cheerios with Brach’s Circus Peanuts Bits
5.) Lucky Charms debuted in supermarkets in 1964
6.) The Lucky Charms mascot Lucky the Leprechaun (a.k.a Sir Charms) was born in 1963
7.) His birthday is on St. Patrick’s Day.
8.) He debuted in 1964 with full color ads in Sunday comics and comic books plus animated ads. One of the most expensive advertising roll-outs at that time.
9.) He was originally called L.C Leprechaun
10.) He was briefly replaced by a forgetful wizard name Waldo (Waldo the Wizard) in 1975
11.) Actor Arthur Anderson was the voice of Lucky from 1963-1992.
12.) Some of Lucky’s famous tagline’s are “Frosted Lucky Charms, they’re magically delicious!,” “They’re Always After Me Lucky Charms!,” “You’ll Never Get Me Lucky charms!”
13.) Lucky Charms cereal debuted in 1963 with oat pieces in shapes of bells, fish, arrowheads, clovers and X’s and green clovers, pink hearts, orange stars and yellow moons marshmallows
14.) Lucky Charms was the first cereal with marshmallows in it
15.) These delicious marshmallows are called “marbits”
16.) Marbits make up 25 % of a box of Lucky Charms cereal
17.) The pink heart marshmallow has been the one marshmallow never phased out since the beginning of the Lucky Charms journey
1975 – Blue Diamonds
1984 – Purple Horseshoes
1986 – Whales
1989 – Red Balloons
1992 – Rainbows
1994 – Pots of Gold
1996 – Leprechaun Hats
1998 – Shooting Stars
1999 – Man in the Moons
2005 – Hidden Key
2006 – Magic Mirror
2008 – Hourglasses
• A whale-shaped marshmallow (1986)
• A green pine tree-shaped marshmallow (1990)
• The star and balloon shape marshmallows were combined (1991)
• Sprinkles were temporarily added to the marshmallows (1994)
• The moon shape marshmallows were modified with the addition of the yellow curve line (1999)
• New Sparkling Rainbow (2000)
• Swirled marshmallows were in Lucky Charms (2010)
• Two new rainbow marshmallows (2013)
20.) Originally the oat cereal was not sugar coated. Sugar frosting was added in 1967
21.) The toasted oats in the cereal has never changed their shapes since their beginning in 1964
22.)They are five oat cereal shapes- bells, fish, arrowheads, clovers and x’s
23.)In 1991, General Mills gave away a free tree with proof-of-purchase mailed in from the back of the box.
24.)In 1996, Lucky featured special edition coins to commemorate the Atlanta Olympic games.
25.) Chocolate Lucky Charms were introduced in 2005
26.) Lucky Charms Marshmallow Treats debuted in 2012
27.) From the original four marshmallows, the permanent roster as of 2013 includes eight marshmallows.
28.) The marshmallows are meant to represent Lucky’s magical charms, each with their own special meaning or “power.” The following are explanations of the permanent marshmallows.
• Hearts – power to bring things to life
• Shooting Stars – power to fly
• Horseshoes – power to speed things up
• Clovers – luck, but you will never know what kind of luck you’ll get
• Blue Moons – power of invisibility
• Rainbows – instantaneous travel from place to place
• Balloons – power to make things float
• Hourglass – power to control time
29.) Lucky/ Lucky Charms celebrated his 50 birthday March 17th, 2014.
30.) In 2014, Pentatonix recorded a birthday song for Lucky.